Hi there, fellow stitchers! Today I want to share with you some of the benefits of sewing for your mental health and well being. Sewing is not only a fun and creative hobby, but also a great way to cope with stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health challenges. Here are some of the reasons why sewing is good for your mind and soul:
- Sewing boosts your self-esteem. When you sew something, you are creating something unique and beautiful that reflects your personality and style. You can feel proud of your accomplishments and enjoy the compliments you get from others.
- Sewing also helps you develop new skills and challenge yourself to learn new techniques and patterns. Try your hand at patchwork, English paper piecing, foundation paper piecing, and other techniques.
- Sewing improves your focus and concentration. When you sew, you have to pay attention to the details, such as the stitches, the seams, the fabric and the pattern. This helps you tune out distractions and stay in the present moment. Sewing also challenges your brain and keeps it sharp, as you learn new skills and techniques.
- Sewing reduces your stress levels. Sewing is a form of mindfulness, which means focusing on the present moment and letting go of worries and negative thoughts. When you sew, you are fully engaged in the process of cutting, stitching, pressing, and finishing your project. You can also listen to soothing music, podcasts, or audiobooks while you sew to relax your mind and body.
- Sewing enhances your mood. Sewing releases endorphins, which are natural chemicals that make you feel happy and calm. Sewing also gives you a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, which can improve your self-confidence and motivation. Sewing can also help you express your emotions and feelings through colors, fabrics, and designs.
- Sewing relaxes your body and mind. Sewing is a form of meditation, as you focus on your breathing and the rhythm of the needle. Sewing can also lower your blood pressure, heart rate and muscle tension, which improves your overall health.
- Sewing connects you with others. Sewing is a social activity that can help you make new friends and bond with old ones. You can join online or offline sewing communities, where you can share your projects, tips, feedback, and inspiration. You can also sew for others, such as making gifts, donations, or commissions, which can make you feel appreciated and valued.
- Sewing helps you to express your creativity through the colours, fabrics, and embellishments you use to make a one of a kind item.
As you can see, sewing is not only a hobby, but also a therapy. Sewing can help you cope with life’s challenges and improve your mental health and well-being. So grab your needle and thread, and start sewing today!
Looking for beginner friendly patterns for time poor sewists? Check out our large range of sweet, tutorial style patterns in our pattern store.
Download our free printables from this article to print and display in your sewing room. Click on the download buttons below – select either A4 or Letter Size to suit your home printer.