Long time readers may remember our Advent Houses that we made a few years ago. We have used the same concept to make some Valentine Heart Houses. They feature a little pocket in the back to hide a note or treat. It would be fun to make a batch of them to string up as a garland. We made them from white linen and small pieces of pink quilting cotton.
- white linen
- quilting cotton in pinks and reds
- red, white and pink bakers twine
- appliqué film, such as steam a seam
- template – can be found here.
4. On the back pocket, fold down 1/2 inch on one of the 3 1/2 inch sides, and press. Then fold over another 1/2 inch and stitch the fold in place with a scant seam allowance. Press.
5. Line up the bottom of the pocket with the bottom of the linen house back and pin it in place. Using a basting stitch and a scant seam allowance, stitch the pocket to the house back.
6.With right sides together, line up the bottom of one roof piece with the top of the linen house back and stitch together. Press the seam allowance towards the roof fabric.
7. With right sides together, line up the bottom of a roof triangle with the top of a linen front and stitch together. Press the seam allowance toward the roof fabric.
8. Stitch a 6 inch length of ribbon in half lengthwise and pin it to the top of the roof (as shown in photo above) and baste in place.
9. Pin the house front to the house back with the right sides facing. Stitch around the outside of the house using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving a 1 1/2 inch gap in one long side for turning.
10. Clip the corners and turn the house right side out through the gap. Use a point turner to push out the corners. Press.
11. Using a hand stitching needle and a ladder stitch, stitch the opening closed and press the completed house.
We will have another Valentines Tutorial for you on February 8 so remember to stop back!