If you after delicious moist, dense, fudgey brownies, you can’t go past Chocolate Caramel Brownies. The secret to these brownies is that they contain chopped Jersey Caramels which add a lovely caramel flavour. It is wonderful to discover a piece of caramel as you bit into the brownie.
One of Mr Sugar’s favourite treats are Jersey Caramels (three layers of soft caramel fudge – one white sandwiched between two brown layers). We discovered this recipe for Jersey Caramel Brownies about 10 years ago and it has been a favourite in our place every since. It is delicious as a treat, and also works served with vanilla ice-cream as a dessert.
- 175 g (1½ sticks) butter, chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⅔ cups plain (all purpose) flour
- 200 g (7 oz) Jersey Caramels, chopped
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir in sugar, eggs, sifted flour and Jersey Caramels. Mix well. Pour mixture into a greased and lined lamington or brownie tin.
- Bake at 180 degrees C (355 deg F) for 30 minutes or until firm to touch. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- To serve, cut into rectangles and dust with icing sugar.