I have spent more time than I would have liked in the laundry this weekend. Sarah’s winter school uniform includes tights and the wash bag for delicates had a hole in it so a replacement was urgently required. (It is no fun having tights get tangled around the rest of the wash!)
I had a look through my stash for suitable material, and found an offcut of sheer curtain fabric which was perfect – it is easy to see what is in inside and it dries quickly. The wash bag was made using a rectangle of curtain fabric measuring 15″ x 36″ and a 15″ zip. The zip was sewn onto the short ends first, and then the sides were sewn up using an overlocker/serger as the curtain fabric frays easily.
Of course it needed a bit of embellishment so I added an appliquéd patch of a washing machine and a tag with washing symbols. Unfortunately the linen had the selvedge missing so I can’t identify it but it was a piece I picked up in Japan in 2010. I love the retro appliances.
The laundry is now all done, and the school uniforms ironed for the week ahead. It is a long weekend here, so hope to spend the next few hours in the sewing room (a lot more fun that laundry!)