German Apple Cake is a favourite in our family! I was given the recipe from my Austrian friend, Karin, when I was in high school, and have been making it ever since. The vanilla cake is studded with delicious slices of apples that have been coated in cinnamon sugar. It is perfect with a cup of tea, and also works well with a scoop of ice-cream or cream for dessert.
German Apple Cake is very easy to make and never fails. It is delicious warm from the oven. It freezes well in an air tight container. Over the years, I have made it with lots of different apple varieties, including granny smiths, gala, and red delicious. You can also substitute pears for the apples for a different flavour.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 large apples, peeled and cored
- Beat butter, sugar, and eggs. Add flour, baking powder, and vanilla. Mix in well. Pour into a greased and lined springform tin (23 cm diameter/9 inch).
- Slice apples thinly and combine with extra sugar and cinnamon. Arrange slices on top of cake and press in lightly.
- Bake for 50 – 60 mins in 180 deg C (350 deg F) oven. Cool. Serve dusted with icing (confectioners) sugar.
Check out our other apple recipes: