My kids are both in the middle of first semester exams this week, so I have been baking some treats to help with their study! We love slices and tray bakes as they are so quick and easy to prepare. This week I baked a Chocolate Weetbix Slice which was studded with moist sultanas for extra energy. It was topped with a chocolate icing and a sprinkling of desiccated coconut – so delicious!
If you would like to make you own, simply follow our easy recipe. Weetbix is a wheat based breakfast cereal that is popular in Australia. The cereal is brick shaped and they can be crushed for this recipe. It is very similar to Weetabix which is available in the UK. Any wholegrain wheat based cereal could be substituted. You will need around 1 cup. This recipe is a variation of our Easy Weetbix Slice.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 4 weetbix, finely crushed
- ½ cup sultanas (or use raisins)
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 140 g (1¼ sticks) butter, melted
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 20 g (1 tablespoon) butter, softened
- boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (355 deg F). Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Add the weetbix, sultanas, coconut, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the butter and vanilla and mix well. Press well into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completed.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add the butter and boiling water, a tablespoon at a time, until the icing in a thick spreadable consistency. Spread the icing on the slice. When the icing has set, cut into slices.