It is the little things that make occasions special. You don’t need to spend a fortune to show someone you care. For Valentine’s Day, we have made some quick and budget friendly, heart Valentines. Made from a heart-shaped doiley, some baking paper (baking parchment), and some M & M’s, it can be assembled in next to no time! You can then use your creativity to decorate them to suit. We used a retro Dymo embossing label maker to print out some labels.
- heart shaped doiley’s (we used Wilton brand)
- baking paper
- M & M’s or other valentine candy
- white card
- dymo embossing label maker
- double sided tape
1. Cut two pieces of baking paper that are slightly larger than the heart doiley. Layer the baking paper under the doiley and clip together using bulldog clips. This holds the layers steady while you sew.
2. Using a sewing machine, stitch around the outside of the doily, through all layers, leaving a 2 1/2 inch gap on one side. (Refer to photo above). We stitched just inside the red border so that the stitching wouldn’t be too noticeable.
3. Separate the layers of baking paper, and fill the doily heart with M & M’s through the gap in the stitching. Stitch the opening closed.
4. Trim the baking paper so that it is sits behind the border around the heart. (Refer to photo below)
5. Decorate the heart with a Valentines message made on the label maker. Cut shapes from the card and attach the label. We used a heart and banner. Stick the messages to the heart using double-sided tape.
You could fill the Valentines hearts with a range of treats – candy, stickers, small toy or anything really that will fit. If you liked this project, check out our Christmas Treat Place Cards, which are made in a similar style.