One of the highlights of our recent family vacation, was the cruise around the Bahamas. It is such a pretty part of the world and we enjoyed exploring the ports of Freeport and Nassau. The food on the cruise was amazing, and I particularly enjoyed the banana bread that was part of the breakfast buffet each morning. It was no surprise that the first baking session since arriving home involved baking a loaf of delicious banana bread.
This banana bread is super easy to prepare and includes extra light olive oil which makes for a very moist cake.
- 3 large ripe bananas
- ½ cup (125ml) extra light olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups (265g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (225g) self raising (self-rising) flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the bananas in a large bowl and mash. Add the oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the flour and cinnamon and mix until combined. Pour into a 4½ x 8½ inch (21cm x 10cm) loaf tin lined with a loaf tine liner or non-stick baking paper. Bake for 1 hour 5 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
Wrapped in a sheet of pretty gingham greaseproof paper and tied with a ribbon, it makes a sweet gift from the kitchen for someone special. We love to give home baked treats – banana bread looks great partnered with a tea towel and bread board, and would be perfect for a house warming gift or part of a breakfast hamper. You will have to make two – so you have one to eat yourself!