Coconut macaroons are an old fashioned favourite. Crunchy on the outside with a delicious, moist sweet centre, they are popular in our home. Made from just four ingredients, they can be quickly prepared when you need a sweet treat in a hurry. They are also gluten free.
Sarah baked a batch of Coconut Macaroons this week. She used an small ice-cream scoop to mould the macaroons into a little dome shape. Once you have masted the basic macaroon, you can vary them by adding chocolate chips, cocoa, or drizzling with chocolate. You can also add a glacé cherry to the top but we prefer ours plain.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 21/2 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine sugar, coconut, egg whites, and vanilla in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix ingredients until well combined.
- Use a small ice cream scoop to form mounds. Place on baking sheet, spaced approximately 3 cm (1 inch) apart.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until golden brown, rotating halfway through. Cool on a wire rack. Store cooled macaroons in an airtight container.
Check out some of our other favourite coconut recipes: