This Lemon Yoghurt Cake is a favourite of ours. The cake is made with vegetable oil and yoghurt which gives it a lovely smooth texture, and it is full of lemon flavour. It is glazed with a cold lemon syrup, which gives gives a crunch to the cake crust. It is best served warm from the oven. We made ours in a rose shaped bundt pan which makes it look fancy.
Lemon Yoghurt Cake
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup (280g) low fat vanilla yoghurt
1¾ cups (385g) caster (superfine) sugar
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
¾ cup (120g) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60ml) lemon juice
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Sift over the flour and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a well-greased 24cm bundt tin and bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- While the cake is still hot remove from the tin. Shake it gently to loosen and overturn it onto a plate.
- To make the lemon frosting, gently stir together the sugar and lemon juice.
- Spoon over the cake and allow to set. Serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay
If you love Lemon recipes as much as we do, check out: