Chocolate Cupcakes are always popular in our home. As much as we love this time of year, it is always busy with lots of end of year and festive celebrations. Sarah is now on school holidays and has been baking up a storm. I arrived home from a hectic day at work last week to find these delicious cupcakes for afternoon tea. Nothing gives you a pick me up as much as a delicious chocolate cupcake. They really are as good as they look!
- Easy Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line standard muffin tins with paper liners; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
Makes 18 cupcakes.
6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup (60 ml) milk
2 ¼ cups (225 grams) powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
¾ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon golden syrup (light corn syrup)
In a large bowl (or in a stand mixer), combine the melted butter and cocoa powder powder until smooth. Mix in the milk and powdered sugar, beating (on medium speed) to spreading consistency. Add another tablespoon or so of milk, if necessary. Mix in vanilla and golden syrup. Spread on top of cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with 100’s and 1000’s.