Do you find your loyalty cards or business cards are multiplying and are hard to keep organised? To better organise my cards, I have made a couple of Card Holders. I recently bought a few card wallet inserts that have 10 pages and hold up to 20 cards. Making a fabric cover for the inserts was quick and easy. One of my card holders features a pieced cover with leather label; and the other has a hexi flower appliqued to the front. There are so many ways to customise these card holders. They are such a practical addition to your handbag and make a fun gift.
If you would like to make your own you will need:
- card wallet insert measuring 3 x 4 inches when folded
- cotton quilting fabric (I used fabrics from Charleston and Les Petites fabric ranges, by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallery Fabrics – available from Ministry of Fabric)
- leather tag (optional)
Cut your fabric:
Fabric 1: cut two strips measuring 6 3/4 x 1 1/2 inches (Card holder outer)
Fabric 2: cut one strip measuring 6 3/4 x 2 1/2 inches (card holder outer)
Fabric 3: cut a rectangle measuring 6 3/4 x 4 1/2 (lining)
Fabric 4: cut two rectangles measuring 5 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches (pockets)
- To make the outside of the card holder, sew the narrow strips to the top and bottom of the wider strip, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Press the seams open, so that you have a pieced rectangle measuring 6 3/4 x 4 1/2 inches. Topstitch close to the seam. This will form the outside of the card holder.
- To prepare the inside of the card holder, press the two pocket pieces in half with the wrong sides together, so that you have a rectangle measuring 2 2/3 x 4 1/2 inches. Pin the pockets to the ends of the lining fabric so that all the raw edges are aligned. Baste in place approx 1/8 inch from the outer edge.
- Position the outside of the card holder, on top of the lining of the card holder, with the right sides together, and all edges aligned. Pin in place and then stitch around the outside using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, and leaving a 2 inch gap in one long edge for turning. Clip corners and turn out the right way through the gap in the lining. Press. Hand stitch the gap in the lining.
- Add a leather label to the front of the card holder. Insert the plastic card insert into the pockets on the lining of the card holder.
The card holders are a quick scrap buster project, and can be easily made in under an hour.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links to Amazon. I only link to products that I have used and recommend.