Triangle Pouch

Make an easy patchwork triangle pouch with our sewing tutorial.

2014 has been a great year for A Spoonful of Sugar and we have had so many lovely opportunities as a result of our blog! We are so grateful to our lovely readers for your wonderful comments and support.  As a thank you for visiting us throughout the year, we wanted to share a final sewing tutorial for 2014. If you follow us on instagram, you will have seen our little Triangle Pouch that we made last week.

Make an easy patchwork triangle pouch with our sewing tutorial.

These little triangle pouches are fun to make and are perfect as small coin purses, to hold make-up essentials, or a few sewing supplies. Made from four strips of fabric, they are quickly assembled and make great little gifts. The fun part is choosing four co-ordinating fabrics. Be warned, it is hard to stop at one! The 10 cm (4 inch ) zippers were purchased in Japan a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I only had two zippers in my stash. If you search for antique metal zippers on Etsy you should be able to find some similar metal zippers or any 4 inch zipper would do.

Make an easy patchwork triangle pouch with our sewing tutorial.

The inspiration for this triangle pouch came from a recent issue of the Japanese Magazine, Cotton Time (sadly we don’t read Japanese so we made our own interpretation). Our version has a number of differences including size, construction technique, and patchwork.

Materials:

• 4 strips of cotton or linen fabric, measuring 1 1/2 inch x 9 inches (patchwork pouch exterior)
  • rectangle of cotton fabric, measuring 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches (lining)
  • length of ribbon, measuring 2 inches x 1/2 inch wide
  • fusible wadding such as parlan, measuring 9 x 4 1/2 inches
  • small leather label (optional)
  • 4 inch metal zipper

Finished Size: 4 inches across the front edge x 4 inches along zipper opening.

Method:

1. Stitch the four patchwork strips together to make a rectangle measuring 9 x 4 1/2 inches. Press the seams open. Press the fusible wadding to the wrong side of the patchwork panel. Using a stitch length of 3.5, stitch through both layers 1/8 inch from each seam.

Triangle Pouch - Step 1

2. Cut the patchwork panel in half so that you have two squares measuring 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. Rotate one square 90 degrees and then stitch the squares together along one edge. You will now have a rectangle measuring 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches. (Refer to photo below).

Triangle Pouch - Step 3

3. To install the zipper we used the same technique that we used in our Pencil Case construction. This is an easy method for inserting zippers. Check out our pencil case post for more photos if you are unsure of the technique.  Place the zipper face down on the left hand edge of the patchwork panel so that the edges are aligned. Baste in place. Place the lining panel face down on top of the patchwork panel. Stitch along the left edge using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you open it up, it should look like the photo below.

Triangle Pouch - Step 4

4. Bring the remaining patchwork edge over to the other side of the zipper and base in place. Bring the remaining edge of the lining around to the other side of the zipper so that all the edges are aligned. Stitch along the edge using a 1/4 inch seam.  It should look like the photo below.

Traingle Pouch - Step 5

5. Open the zipper and turn the pouch out the wrong way.Centre the zipper along the bottom edge as shown. Stitch a 1/4 inch seam along the bottom edge and trim the excess part of the zipper. Overlock (serge) or zigzag the raw edges. My overlocker was packed away as we have a guest staying in the sewing room, so I used a small zigzag stitch to finish the raw edge. If you don’t like to have an exposed edge inside your pouch, you could cover it with a length of bias tape to hide the raw edge.

Triangle Pouch - Step 5

6. Turn the pouch out the right way. Fold the small piece of ribbon and baste it to the top edge as shown in the photo below.

Triangle Pouch - Step 7

(Optional) Add a small patch to the front of the pouch if desired  (Refer to photo below). We bought the patch from Etsy seller Sonsu.

Make an easy patchwork triangle pouch with our sewing tutorial.

7.Turn the pouch out so the lining is showing. Fold the top edge so that the end of the zipper is on one side. Pin and then stitch along the opening. Zigzag or serge the raw edges as shown in the photo below.

Triangle Pouch - Step 8

Turn the pouch out the right way, and it is ready to use.

Triangle Pouch 3

Triangle Pouch 2

You can check out our patchwork Triangle Pouch Variation here.

Patchwork Triangle Pouch Sewing Tutorial by A Spoonful of Sugar

For more easy sewing projects, check out our Sewing Tutorials.    Don’t forget to follow us on instagram to see our latest crafty projects.

Comments

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks Susan! You can find the zippers at Studio Mio (online + they also have a stand at most Australian craft Shows). Otherwise some Etsy sellers have them. Nice zippers make all the difference 🙂 Best wishes for the New Year.

Love these, so quick and such clear instructions, whipped one up in no time last night. Newly discovered your blog, signed up straight away! Thanks.

I just want to thank you for all the beautiful things you share with us. I will follow your blog also in this year and wish you another million ideas to see here. Have a healthy and successful year with a lot of joy, hope and love. Warmest regards from Germany

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks Missy! The leather labels came from Etsy Seller SonSu in Korea. (There is a link above in the post).

3. Alis in Wnderlnd says

I have made a few of these, but your directions are much better and more clear. I just DO NOT recommend hanging one on a leash to hold dog treats, unless you want your pup to eat the entire triangle bag! 🙂

4. Training Wheels Sewing says

I have made larger versions of these for years – I call it my wonky bag, great for shoes when travelling. (I think I first saw it in one of Nancy Zieman’s books.) But I’ve never seen such a pretty little one! You always use such beautiful, perfectly scaled fabrics and trims. I love your work. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks for your sweet comment! They would make a great shoe bag in a larger size – must try that.

These are so pretty I just have to try one…. or two or even three! My sisters will love them! Thanks so much for another inspirational post. x

6. Lily says

Beautiful thing 🙂 Very inspiring… Thank you

A question: do you think it could work well enough with simple (not metallic) zipper and maybe 8 different prints for strips? since it’s too difficult to pick just 4… :o)

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Lily – A regular zipper would work just as well. I have seen a few made by other people with simple zippers. One lady has used charm squares and cut 8 different strips that are half the length which looks great. Have fun!

7. Ginny says

Wi made about 70 of these for a baby shower favor. I loved using charm packs since the squares were precut and the fabics were coordinated. I just grabbed any four squares and each pouch was beautiful. The guests loved them.

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Wow – 70 is huge! They would have made great baby shower favours – I bet your guests were thrilled.

8. Shelly S. says

So cute! I have to make some of these. What about the leather tag? Where did you find something like that? Makes this look ver upscale!

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks Shelly. You can purchase leather tags from a number of Etsy sellers. I bought that one from Sonsu on Etsy, a store in Sth Korea.

9. Stephanie says

I love it! Thank you for the easy to understand and follow tutorial.

If I may ask, where did you get your linen/twill tape tag? I love the look of linen or twill tape for tags.

Stephanie

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks Stephanie! That was some linen ribbon with French text on it that I have had in my stash for years. I bought it on Etsy from a Japanese seller. If you search for linen ribbon or linen tape on Etsy there are some lovely varieties available.

Excellent tutorial and lovely photos! Coincidentally, just yesterday, I clicked on a link for this same basic project elsewhere and got a 404 (found you through AllFreeSewing today). Will put these on my “to do” list. Many thanks!

11. Gloria says

truly precious and girly-girly,I used a pretty bead on a regular zipper to blend with the color in the fabrics that I used Ty for this lovely tutorial.

12. Carole says

Fantastic instructions, can’t wait to sew this cutie. Until I get the zips, you’ve inspired me to hook up a pouch. Just crochet’d a rectangle and followed your construction instructions to sc the seams. Super!

13. Tamara Price says

We are missionaries to Nicaragua and work in a remote community. I have been teaching sewing class for almost 3 years, teaching the ladies to make things to sell to feed and clothe their families. This is super cute and doesn’t take much fabric. I may have to use a normal 7″ plastic zipper and cut it to size. Supplies are not available here like in the states. Thanks for this great pattern and tutorial!

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Hi Tamara – thanks for your lovely message. How wonderful that you are teaching ladies to sew and earn money for their families. So inspiring! Have a wonderful week. Lisa

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Absolutely Sherry! They would look great made out of suiting fabric or wool plaid, with perhaps some leather to embellish. Happy sewing, Lisa

14. Becky Keizer says

Thanks for the great tutorial! Just wanted to let you know that I was able to purchase the zippers at my local Fabricland (Nanaimo, BC, Canada).

15. Valerie says

It’s official….I am a complete idiot! I have tried 3 times to make this awesome little pouch…and I have failed 3 times!! Help!! What am I doing wrong???

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Sorry to hear you are having issues. That is no fun at all. Perhaps you could ask a friend who sews for some advice? It is difficult to advise when I can’t see what the problem is. Zippers can be tricky. Good luck!

16. Krystal says

I am making these for teacher’s gifts for my kids. Yours are adorable!

Question: Can I use regular batting (or wadding) rather than the fusible kind or am I asking for trouble?

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Hi Krystal – rgular batting would work well, just baste it well with basting spray or lots of pins before you quilt it. Great ideas for teachers gifts!

17. Mary says

These are cute but the tutorial is not good at all. I am not good at sewing but was hoping for better instructions for beginners. Not all of the materials required are used. Where is the ribbon used?

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Hi again Mary – the fusible wadding is ironed to the exterior fabric to give it a little more structure. Hope that helps 🙂

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Sorry to hear that you had trouble following the tutorial. I put these together in my free time as a guide – perhaps you need to attend a sewing class for more instruction whilst you learn the basics. The ribbon is folded and inserted in the seam for a little tag – it is really just an optional embellishment. Good luck with your sewing!

• Mary says

i meant wadding instead of ribbon. i know where the ribbon is. i intend to attend a sewing class. these are really cute and i would love to make them.

• Pippa says

I think the instructions are excellent, the pouch is adorable, and you are a kind soul for sharing your skills with so many people just for the love of it! I visit here often for help and inspiration, but I don’t comment. I felt compelled to comment today after reading what Mary wrote. How rude! You dealt with it in a gracious manner. I fully understand if you prefer not to publish my comment or edit! I just wanted you to know. Many thanks.

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks Pippa for visiting and taking the time to comment. Really appreciate it 🙂 We have the nicest readers. Enjoy your week!