Gathered Round Basket – 3 Sizes

One of our most popular sewing tutorials, is our Gathered Round Basket. The little fabric basket is a fun scrap buster project. The baskets can be used for all sorts of  things – for holding supplies in the craft room; storing items in a bathroom or bedroom;  holding stationery supplies; and for packaging gifts.

We have had a number of requests to make the Gathered Round Basket in different sizes. Here it is in three sizes – they nest inside each other when not in use.

For each basket you need three circles, consisting of:

• outer fabric
  • fusible wadding, such as parlan or pellon
  • lining fabric
plus a rectangular strip for binding, that is 2 1/4 inches in width.

We used fabrics from the Pirouette range, by Verna Mosquera for Free Spirit from XO Gigi Fabrics.

Small Basket - cut the circles with a 6 inch diameter; binding strip 2 1/4 inches x 12 inches.
Medium Basket – cut the circles with an 8 inch diameter; binding strip 2 1/4 inches x 14 inches.
Large Basket – cut the circles with a 10 inch diameter; binding strip 2 1/4 inches x 18 inches.

To construct the baskets, follow the instructions in our original tutorial .
When gathering up the basket, the small basket should have a circumference of 10 inches (i.e. all around the outside of the basket); the medium basket a circumference of 12 inches; and the large basket a circumference of 16 inches.

The little baskets are fun to make and are so useful. With Easter around the corner, they would look great filled with chocolate eggs.

For complete instructions, follow our Gathered Round Basket Tutorial.

For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebooktwittergoogle plus and pinterest.

Comments

These lovely baskets look so simple, yet are so adorable. Might just have to clear the work table and make one in the morning!! Thanks for sharing this again, esp. with the additional sizes.

Very sweet and easy. I made the 6 inch circle basket. Wasn’t the easiest thing I’ve ever tried to manipulate under the needle, but with a little patience, I was greatly rewarded!! Plan to make the other two sizes in coordinating fabrics to give as a gift. Thanks so much for sharing!!

I’ve just finished making one of these gorgeous baskets for an Easter gift. I added a little handle and filled it with eggs and its perfect! We’ll be making some more for sure! Thank you for the tutorial.

Found you through Why Not Sew? blog. She made your sweet little basket/bowl. I loved it so much I made all 3 sizes this afternoon. I am sure I will make more. Lovely project and very easy to do. Thank you so much!

I have made many of the “fabric boxes” that another blogger posted years ago. I like your idea to do them in a round shape as well. Thanks! xx debbie

Sooo cute!! Love these!! & I LOVE the washi tape you featured. Would you be so kind as to please advise where you got them? My email is bellezebabe at gmail dot com. I look forward to your reply. Thanks so much & keep up the great work!! :)

7. Vicky P says

Just found you blog and would love to do these. When I push on the link it says it is not found. Is it still available? Great idea.

8. mary says

je trouve c est corbeilles magnifique et surtout l association on peut faire des modèle différend a chaque saison c es très beau merci douce soirée amicalement