Pretty Drawstring Pouch {Tutorial}

Thanks for all the lovely comments on my little pouch design that I shared yesterday. Now that my trusty Pfaff is sewing smoothly again, I was able to complete the tutorial today.

If you are after a little drawstring pouch to hold a few essentials or to use as gift packaging, the Pretty Drawstring Pouch will fit the bill. Made from two fat 1/8′s of quilting cotton and a length of ribbon, it can be made in under an hour. The lining is folded over to the front to make a contrasting casing for the drawstring.
It is sized at 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inches (16.5 cm x 16.5 cm).
Materials:
  • 2 fat 1/8′s quilting cotton – floral and polka dot
  • 42 inches (107 cm narrow ribbon (1/4 inch wide)
Note: Seam allowance of 1/4 inch included.
1. Using the template, cut out two outer pieces (floral), and two lining pieces (polka dot).
2. Place the two outer pieces (floral) with the right sides facing. Stitch around from one side to the other, leaving the top open. Clip corners. Press.
3. Place the outer pouch on top of the lining panel (polka dot) and make a mark with a water soluble pen, just above the stitching line on both sides (as marked in Photo 3). Pin the two lining pieces together with the right sides facing. Stitch from the mark on one side around to the mark on the other side.  Clip corners. Press.
4. Clip the seam of the lining at a 45 degree angle as shown in Photo 4. Repeat for each side. Press the seam allowance open. This will form part of the casing.

5. Stitch around the seam allowance on both sides of the casing as shown in Photo 5.
6. Turn the floral part of the pouch so that the print is facing outwards. Place the lining inside the pouch. There will be 3/4 inch (2 cm) of the lining showing at the top and this will form the casing. Press this part of the lining down so that it is level with the top of the pouch. Fold under 1/4 inch along the edge of the casing.
7. Pin the casing in place.
8. Stitch along the top and bottom edge of the casing. Cut the ribbon in half lengthwise. Using a safety pin, thread the ribbon through the casing on one side, and right around to exit on the same side. Repeat with the other piece of ribbon from the other opening. Knot the ends of the ribbon. Press.

And there you have it – a quick little pouch to hold all manner of things.
 We have modified the pattern to make a larger drawstring pouch over on this post.
Edit:  Pink fabric is 30′s Collection Atsuko Matsuyama, Lecien; White fabric is Tweet by Timeless Treasures.
For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebooktwittergoogle plus and pinterest.

Comments

This is a really cool tutorial, I have been thinking that I need to make some pouches but I did not know how to go about them. I also really like the fabric that you are using. It is so cute and pretty!

Thank you thank you for posting the tutorial! So sweet and darling. I’m sitting down this very second to make one! PS. It was a needle problem for my Pfaff too! So glad you had posted about it!

aargh!! i have never had trouble downloading your patterns before, but this time it says i have to log into facebook — alas, i have decided to stay out of it and have no account. Sad, sometimes things work out that way! thanks anyway — cute pattern!

What a sweet pattern – thank you so much, girls. I’ve just finished making my first one from scraps at home – love it. I think these will be my ‘go to’ stocking stuffers this year.

This is great! I am using a bunch of old Christmas fabric I found at a thrift shop to make little gift pouches for a local nursing home. Filling them with goodies. Love the tutorial!

6. Anonymous says

vous faites des merveilles et merci pour vos bonnes idees; avec les fetes qui arrivent, voila une idee geniale pou faire des preents car un present fait main a beaucoup plus de valeur!!

This is lovely! Thank you for the tutorial. I will be making a drawstring pouch to carry pins on trips to Disneyland and if I post a blog post about it, I will be sure to link to your post :)

Thank you so much for this fabulous tutorial! I just made one of the bags and posted it on my Flickr, along with a link to this tutorial.

9. Zoe says

Wow. The box pouch and, this. All you do is copying those Japanese creator’s projects then post as if they are your invention. What a nerve. Very creative, ladies. I suggest you to look up a word Moral in a dictionary. And don’t think you can fool everybody because some people know where these designs come from and that they are not your ideas.

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Thanks for commenting Zoe – we always appreciate feedback from our readers. You will notice that I did link to the book Patchwork Please in my Box Pouch post and gave credit to Ayumi Takahashi for her design. The template for the Pretty Drawstring Pouch one was drawn by me and not copied from another designer. There is nothing original about a drawstring pouch, or a box pouch, and there are loads of variations around the internet and in books. Most craft projects are not that original – it you look on pinterest you often see the same type of project appear with some minor variations. We simply share our tutorials (which take hours of work to photograph and write up) as a way to help others learn to sew some basic projects.

10. Lunarius says

I’ve been using this pattern (very slightly modified — I increased the overall height of the lining so that the top is a little wider) to make dice bags for my friends and fellow gamers. It’s been a fun way to use up some of my stash, and I even got the chance to teach a few of my friends the basics of a sewing machine. I use a lot of jersey knit fabric (mostly old tee shirts) but I’ve also used some heavy linen, standard fat-quarter cotton cloth, and some velour as well. This makes for a quick and satisfying project, and I wanted to thank you for sharing it.