We love to travel as a family and it is important to easily spot your luggage on the baggage carousel. Most people use black or dark coloured suitcases, so a luggage tag with a bright pop of colour will ensure that you can identify your case in a hurry! Felt Luggage Tags are fun to make and would make a great gift for your favourite frequent traveller!
It is sized so that a business card will show through the window. Alternatively you can print your address details on a piece of card.
If you would like to make your your own Felt Luggage Tag, here is a tutorial.
Wool Felt, two rectangles measuring 3 1/2 x 5 inches
Felt Star measuring 3 inches across (I cut this using our Accuquilt Go Cutter).
Thick fusible interfacing measuring 3 1/4 x 4 3/4 inches
Strip of fabric measuring 2 x 12 inches (for strap)
Rectangle of fabric measuring 3 3/4 x 5 1/4 for the window
Piece of acetate measuring 3 x 4 1/2 inches for the window.
1. Cut Materials to size. To make the window on the interfacing, mark 1/2 inch in on all sides, and cut out. (Refer to Photo)
3. To make the fabric window, press the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric. Press the outside edge in, over the edge of the interfacing (Step 1). Stitch around the edge of the window, approx 1/8 inch from the edge. Cut out the inside of the window, leaving 1/2 inch border. Clip each corner on the diagonal (Step 2). Press the fabric on the inside of the window and stitch in place (Step 3). The front of the window has been top stitched around the inside and outside (Photo 4).
4. Layer the fabric window onto one of the pieces of felt. Stitch it to the felt on three sides, leaving the top edge open. Stitch along the existing stitching line.
5. Appliqué the felt star to the centre of a piece of felt. Pin the strap to top of the tag on the wrong side and stitch in place.
6. Pin the front and back of the tag together with the wrong sides facing. Stitch around the outside of the tag, on the felt, taking care not to catch the edges of the fabric window. Press lightly on wool setting. Slip the piece of acetate into the window. Add your business card or address label.