Homemade Japanese Washi Tape

Ever since spotting the Handmade Custom Paper Tape over at Just Something I Made, I have been keen to make some. Melanie from Crafty Japan, sent me some offcuts of washi paper and as I am a big lover of Japanese Washi tape, thought some handmade washi tape would be just the ticket.

I used some double sided tape with an adhesive backing (available from Big W, and scrap booking stores)

and applied it to strips of washi paper and then cut it to size.

I wrapped it around some pieces of cardboard tube and secured with a twist tie.

It works beautifully when gift wrapping

and to decorate wooden pegs (clothespins).

I think my addiction to pretty tape is getting out of hand – fortunately we have lots of birthdays in the next few months.

For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebooktwitter, and google plus.

Comments

Wow, that’s a lot of work and you have to cut that so carefully .. Looks supernice! I love the idea of using the tape on clothespins.
    Jule

I really really love the colors and pattern of the colored tapes you made. You are going to have lots of fun using them on your projects. Thanks for the idea.
    Cory/Dogwood

I have been wondering how to do the whole peg thing for a little while now and you have just solved that puzzle for me! Seems really, really obvious now I’ve seen this…I swear my pregnancy has turned my brain to total mush!!

This is such a great idea. I have no idea what washi paper is, but I love it nonetheless! I’m going to try and make some with some thinner paper I have around here. Thanks so much for sharing. :O)

~ billiemonster.com ~

Thanks for sharing that! I’ve seen the beautiful Washi tapes online, but I’ve never seen any in person. Thanks to your tutorial, I now know everything I need to make them myself and save gobs of money. :)

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

You can also use Jac double sided adhesive sheets. There are a number of brands selling double sided adhesive tape such as Scotch. Perhaps it is called something different in Germany? You should be able to find it on ebay or in a stationery supply store. Hope you can track some down.