Pattern Weights

Do you ever see something on-line and then have to make it immediately? I am the first to admit I have obsessive crafting disorder (OCD). I spotted a free pattern for Pattern Weights over at Sew Daily yesterday and knew I had to make some up. Unfortunately I didn’t have any piping on hand so I designed my own version using yo-yo’s.

If you would like to make some you will need:

• fabric scraps
  • buttons
  • metal washers ( approx 3/4 in or 20 mm in diameter)
  • batting scraps
  • Clover Yo-Yo Maker (Large) (this clever device makes yo-yo’s a breeze!)
Method:
  • Trace a circle that is 1 1/2 in diameter (40 mm) onto a piece of batting and then cut it out.
  • Layer two washers in the centre of the batting and stitch in place.
  • Make a yo-yo as per the instructions on the yo-yo maker. Just before you gather up the yo-yo, position the circle of batting in the centre of the yo -yo. Gather up the yo-yo and secure it so that the batting and washers are enclosed in the yo-yo.
  • Stitch on a button to the front of the yo-yo.
I usually use a sticky tape dispenser or similar to weight down my patterns. Now I have much prettier pattern weights to use!

Comments

TOTALLY cool, i don’t patterns though, such is the life of the self taught crafter, i tend to use cardboard templates i’ve designed myself. These are super cool though, glad my daughters are learning to sew properly at school & can teach me how to use patterns!! Love Posie

Very cute Lisa…and great thinking too! I haven’t used a paper pattern in soooooo long, but have been thinking about making myself some new skirts. These little weights would be very useful :)

Oh that kind of OCD? I think I have that too!

I love your version of the pattern weights – so clever to make them with yo-yos. This is a must for me too, so thank you for sharing your ideas.

cute cute cute!! I will make some today to replace the less than cute soup cans I’ve been using. Love them. So simple, useful, and adorable!

Just bought my Yo-Yo makers last week and now I can’t wait to make the cute weights you’ve shared with us.
    Thanks so much!

Debbie

This is such a darling idea! I bought some of the large metal fender washers to make pattern weights with and plan to paint them and embellish with things like buttons,photos,charms,etc. so I don’t want to use them for the weights inside of the yo-yos. What about filling them with rice or bb’s instead? Thanks for the fun ideas!

These are so cute – a set of them would make a super cute gift …. I’m trying to find a heavier type of weight for a Halloween craft project – any ideas? I thought about fishing weights …

Hi Rachael Rabbit,
    What about using metal nuts, as in nuts and bolts for heavier weights on your Halloween projects? They come in a very wide range of sizes and can be bought in bulk at hardware stores to save money if you plan on using more than just a few of them. Dollar Tree has bags of river rocks for just $1 that would serve the same purpose. Hope this helps. Have fun with your projects!

9. Shelia says

My grandmother starting me sewing when I was five. She always weighted down her patterns with knives out of the drawer. She called them case knives. She never used pins for cutting out fabric. Too bad I don’t have her anymore. I would love to make her a set of these so she wouldn’t have to use her good silverware.

These are darling! I’d like to Pin them, but haven’t been able to do that. The Pin it link goes to your Pinterest page, but I can’t find these on it.

Help! ;-)