Fabric Gift Pouch

Fabric Gift Pouch

Here is a little fabric gift pouch – it is the perfect size to gift some jewellery or other small item. The inspiration came from a Japanese magazine.

They are really quick to make.

Materials:

• 2 squares of cotton fabric 8 1/2 inches x 8 1/2 inches (22 cm x 22 cm)
  • 40 inches ( 1 m ) white crochet cotton or similar
Method:
1. Position the squares of fabric so that the right sides are facing. Stitch around each side using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave a 3 inch gap on one side for turning. Clip corners and turn right side out. Press. Use a slip stitch to close the gap.
2. Mark 3 1/4 inches from each corner. Fold the corners in where marked and press. Stitch the corners down, 1/2 inch from the edge. (Refer to photo)

4. Cut the crochet cotton in half. Thread a length of cotton twine through the channels on the corners and then tie the ends together. Starting from the opposite side, thread the other length of cotton through the channels and tie. (Refer to photo)

5. Pull the ends of the cotton to gather up the pouch. Pop in your gift, tie a bow, and trim the ends of the cotton twine as desired.

Of course I couldn’t resist adding a small tag – fortunately I had the perfect colour of Japanese washi tape to match :)

Edit: You can find some Christmas Pouches here and here.

Comments

I love these little bags, I have made them some time ago as well… if you use red and green, this makes them look a little like strawberries and they are also good for some easter chocolates … I have thought of making them again as little easter surprises. Your choice of fabrics is really really cute!
    Jule

OMG! How simple and how cute!! I’m propped up in bed with my 1st cup of coffee, and I want to jump right up and go make one. Right now! Thanks so much for sharing!! ~karen

What a sweet gift pouch! I love the way the string goes through the corners to tie into a pretty little package. This is an adorable gift in and of itself!

Oh so pretty! I imagine this could be resized for a slightly bigger pouch and would also be wonderful for packaging yummy homemade treats too! Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous idea.

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest little bag ever! I have finally found out that all of the trials and tribulations I’ve been having with my sewing machine were down to it needing a service, apparently it hasn’t worked properly for well over 10 years. It’s a Singer one so I’m going to see if I can get someone to have a look at it. If it all works out I’ll be taking on some of your nifty tutorials! Thank you x

Hi, Lisa! What a clever idea… the shape is wonderful! A nice departure from the “usual” drawstring variety. Thanks for showing us how! :o) So nice to catch up with you here. The days are so busy of late, my online time is a little less then it was. But we all know how that is… LOL! Happy Days ((HUGS))

how sweet … and simple to do. I’ve been trying to figure out a neat way to wrap a gift for my bee friends. This will be perfect. Thank you for sharing!

i made 2 of these yesterday with fun Easter fabric, very sweet. then I got clever and tried to make one with a pentagon instead of a square to make a 5 pointed flower at the top and HA! it doesn’t work. made a cute little thing, but not a draw string bag.

Oh this is great!! I just discovered fabric origami this week and made a bag – this looks nice and simple – and will use up some scraps! I’m off to try it straight away!
    Thanks for sharing!

Oh how sweet is this – I love it, thank you! I’d like to ask your permission to use your pic and link on my blog, every month I make a list of tutorials for my readers and I would love to show them this!

I would like to thank SMS for posting this today! If only they h ad posted it sooner, my sister’s gift would be in a nice little pouch like this rather than a cheap organza drawstring bag. *sigh* I’m going to make some today!

12. Anonymous says

Love this pouch! Love the colors and I think I’ll try to make a bigger one for bigger gifts, maybe add a hair bungee for added effect.
    Diane, NJ

13. Anonymous says

This has brought back memories of my time as a Girl Scout leader. We made these out of bandanas for Girl Scouts and called them Ditty Bags. My co-leader and I made them as Christmas Gifts for our Brownies one year.

14. Martina says

I saw this pattern on your blog just before Christmas and made about 2 dozen of them in Christmas fabric. I filled them either with foil-covered chocolates (4 Ferrero Rochers for example) or with chocolate coins and tiny bottles of nail varnish/hairbands etc. So I always had a small gift for unexpected visitors. They went down very well -everyone expected them to be very difficult to make.

15. Anonymous says

Oh, thanks for the tutorial!~ I still a beginner in sewing, and I was thinking of the most ridiculously complex way to sew a pouch. Thank God I found this site before I even started. And thank YOU for your nice tutorial.

This little gift pouch is sooooooo adorable….I had to get right off my PC and Make one right away….It was super super simple and turned out so sweet…. I found a cute Christmas Pattered fabric in my stash and a contrasting one for the lining inside…..I Used thin Red silk ribbon for ties since I didn’t have any crochet cotton….Thanks so much for sharing….Hugs and God Bless
    Pam

17. Anonymous says

I love this!!! you can make it bigger with some satin or lamee and have the hottest evening bag at the party!!! gonna try this right now!!!!

18. Anonymous says

Hi All,

I will be making one of these cuties with Breast Cancer Awareness fabrics and thin pink/white ribbon as opposed to string/crochet cotton…..can’t wait to make it. Will post pics if I make it.

Enjoy!!!

What a fabulous idea, i love this would it be ok if I added a link to this tutorial on my blog had a go at making my own but its no where near as nice as yours.

Hope to hear from you soon, take care jojo

Cute, easy, and not expensive!! I made one tonight as a trial run. I will be making about 20 more for foster moms. We’ll fill with candy. How cool is that? THANK YOU for such a delightful tutorial! I see a lot of these in my future!

Thank you for this great tutorial! Last year I made 60 of these pouches to give as gifts to my friends. I have just started a blog titled “Gifts for all my friends” and I’ll be sharing a link to your tutorial. I hope you don’t mind! If you get a chance, please stop by my blog at giftsforallmyfriends.blogspot.com.

Thank you!!

this is so simple and cute..i tried to pin up this project onto my pinterest. Unfortunately they are so many follower try to reach this project..wish i could pin into my board

We’re a non-profit quilt guild and we’re looking for some items to sell at our upcoming quilt show. Would you mind if we sold a few of these?

• A Spoonful of Sugar says

Hi Tammy, Thanks for your message. You are welcome to sell some pouches using our design. We would appreciate if you used a tag that mentioned they were made suing our free pattern.

thanks