These lemon crinkle cookies could not be easier! They can be prepared in under 10 minutes. Perfect for when you need a sweet lemon treat in a hurry! The secret to these cookies is that they are made from a packet lemon cake mix, with a few extra ingredients added. I generally bake everything from scratch but there are times when you need quick and easy. These lemon crinkle cookies deliver the perfect lemony flavour – it is hard to stop at one! Best of all, they taste great straight from the oven.
These cookies are adapted from the Easy Lemon Cookies recipe over at Gimme Some Oven (I have adapted the recipe to suit an Australian brand of packet mix – it you are after a USA sized packet refer to original recipe). Lemon Crinkle Cookies have a soft, cake like centre, and crisp outer layer. I love the crinkle effect from rolling them in icing (confectioners) sugar prior to baking.
- 470 g (16.5 oz) Box Lemon Cake Mix (I used Green's)
- 45 g (1.5 oz) plain (all purpose flour)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1.5 eggs, lightly beaten (crack two eggs into a bowl and weigh them. Remove 0.5 egg after beating)
- ¾ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- Note: The Greens Lemon Cake Mix includes a 335 g cake mix sachet (11.8 oz). The included icing mix was not used.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, lemon juice and zest until well blended. Form dough into small balls (about 1 Tbsp.), and drop into a bowl of icing (confectioners' ) sugar. Roll them around until they're lightly covered. Once sugared, place on a lightly-greased cookie sheet. Place sheet in the fridge for 15 - 20 minutes for the mixture to chill. Press down lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 9 - 10 minutes in the preheated oven. The bottoms will be light brown, and the insides chewy.
Check out our other great lemon recipes.