Valentines Day is just around the corner. Today we wanted to share a quick tutorial on how to make these sweet little Valentines Matchbook Needle Holders. They make fun little gifts, and are perfectly sized for a travel sewing kit or to pop into your stitching kit. Made in under 10 minutes – you probably have most of the materials on hand in your sewing room!
The Valentines Matchbook Needle Holder are made from fabric and cardstock, and feature a heart motif embellishment on the outside. Inside you will find a piece of wool felt that can be used to store some pins and needles. They measure 2 3/4 x 3 1/2 inches.
If you would like to make your own, you will need:
- piece of cardstock measuring 2 3/4 x 7 inches
- scrap of fabric measuring 2 3/4 x 6 1/4
- double sided adhesive paper measuring 2 3/4 x 6 1/4 inches (also known as JAC paper)
- wool felt measuring 2 1/2 x 3 inches
- heart motif (or cut a heart from felt)
- bone folder (optional)
- scalloped scissors or pinking shears (optional)
- fabric glue
- Peel off the backing paper for the adhesive paper, and adhere to the wrong side of the fabric. Smooth in place. Peel off the remaining paper backing and position the fabric on the piece of cardstock so that the edges are aligned along one short edge.
2. Using a bone folder or scoring tool, score a line that is 3/4 inch from end that is not covered in fabric. Score a line that is 3 inches from the remaining end. Refer to image below.
3. Trim one end of the wool felt using scalloped scissors. Insert into the needle holder as shown below, and secure with a staple. Adhere the heart motif to the front of the needle holder with a small amount of fabric glue.
I have previously made some small mini notebooks using the same method and paint chips. You can find them on this post from our archives (2008).
The Valentines Matchbook Needle Holder is made using fabric from the Old New 30’s Collection 2017 by Lecien fabrics (available in stores in March). If you are looking for the heart motifs, search on Etsy for heart lace applique and you will find some similar motifs. Alternatively use a felt or crocheted heart for the front of your Valentines Matchbook Needle Keeper.
You can find more of our Valentines projects here.