I can’t resist the scent of lavender! It is so nice to place amongst your clothing and shoes to make your wardrobe smell divine. These little lavender sachets are a fun project suitable for a beginner sewist. All you need are some fabric scraps, ribbon offcuts, and little crocheted doilies. Don’t worry if you can’t crochet, you can use ready made doilies, lace motifs, or else repurpose a lace table cloth. In fact you could add a fabric yoyo, hexagons, or any other embellishment you can dream up.
Using some perle cotton, I crocheted some little doilies using a size 2 crochet hook. You can find the pattern on this post.
Flower Medallion (US Crochet terms)
Work 5 ch. And join into a ring with sl. st.
1st Round: 2 ch., work 23 d.c. into ring, join with sl.st. to 2 ch.
2nd Round: 4 ch., 1 d.c. into same st. as sl.st., 1 ch.,* miss 2 sts., (1 d.c., 2 ch., 1 d.c) into next st., 1 ch.; rep from * 6 times, sl.st. to 2 ch. at beg. of round.
3rd Round: 2 ch., (1 d.c., 2 ch., 2 d.c.) into first 2 ch.sp., *1 s.c into 1 ch., sp., (2 d.c., 2 ch., 2 d.c.) into next 2 ch.sp., rep, from * 6 times, 1 s.c. into last 1 ch.sp., sl.st. to 2nd ch. of first 2 ch.
4th round: *(3 d.c., 1 ch., 3 d.c.) into 2 ch sp., 1 s.c. on s.c. of previous round; rep. from *7 times, sl st. to join. Fasten Off.
My medallions measured 3 inches in diameter. If yours are a different size, you can adjust the size of the sachet.
I used Valadani Perle Cotton Size 8 purchased from Massdrop.
For each sachet you will need:
- 2 squares of cotton fabric measuring 4 x 4 inches
- length of ribbon measuring 3.5 inches
- crocheted doiley (or motif) measuring 3 inches in diameter
- dried lavender
- Handstitch the crocheted doiley to the centre of a fabric square.
- Fold the ribbon in half, and pin to the centre top of the sachet front. Baste in place.
- Position the two fabric squares together with the right sides facing. Sew around the outside using a 1/4 inch allowance, and leave a 2 inch gap in one side for turning.
- Clip corners and turn out the right way through the gap in the side. Press
- Lightly fill with lavender, Hand stitch the opening closed.
These sachets have been made with Cabbage Roses and Memory Lane Fabrics – two new collections from Tilda. Thanks to the Australian Distributor, Two Green Zebras, for providing the fabric used this project.
You can see our original tutorial for gingham lavender sachets here.
Check out the Dress Form Lavender Sachets – pattern from my book, A Spoonful of Sugar.