Recently, I was sorting and organising my recipe file. I have lots of recipes that were clipped from magazines or hand written on scraps of paper and collected over the years. I came across an old recipe for Weetbix Slice. I can’t remember where I originally came across this recipe but it was a favourite when my kids were young. It is so quick and easy to make, and is fun to make with kids.
I made a batch this week and it didn’t last long! (It also freezes well. First cut it into slices and store in the freezer in an airtight container.)
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 4 weetbix, finely crushed
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 140 g (1¼ sticks) butter, melted
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 1 cup icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 20 g (1 tablespoon) butter, softened
- boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (355 deg F). Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large bowl. Add the weetbix, coconut, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add the butter and vanilla and mix well. Press well into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completed.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add the butter and boiling water, a tablespoon at a time, until the icing in a thick spreadable consistency. Spread the icing on the slice. When the icing has set, cut into slices.
If you enjoyed this recipe, check out some of our other lunchbox treats.