I must admit, we are slightly addicted to baking supplies. We have a growing collection of cookie cutters and cake tins. We love speciality baking tins as they can really make your cake shine. Our baking tin kitchen drawer is over flowing so we have now spread our collection amongst two additional tubs in the bottom of the pantry. We should have the perfect tin for any cake we want to make.
The Honeycomb Pull Apart Pan (by Nordic Ware) is a fun, honeycomb design, which features 19 pull apart sections for easy sharing. The sections are decorated with bees or a honeycomb design. The great thing about this cake tin, is that the cake just needed a glaze and no other decorating was necessary.
Sarah baked a delicious cake with a honey glaze. The cast aluminium baking tin promoted even browning and rising, and it fell out of the tin easily. The sections were very easy to pull apart and it is a good cake to make for a group. She used the recipe that came with the baking tin. (Developed for Williams-Sonoma).
We served ours with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream as a dessert.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (315 g) cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 250 g (2 sticks) butter
- 375 g (1½ cups) sugar
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 60 g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- Honey Glaze
- 60 g (1/2 stick) butter
- 60 g (1/4 cup) brown sugar, firmly packed
- 185 ml (1/2 cup) honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F). Grease and flour honeycomb pull apart pan. Tap out excess flour.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, and vanilla until blended. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Reduce the speed to medium, add the egg mixture and beat until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk and beating after each addition until just incorporated. Gently fold in the ground almonds.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Honey Glaze: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter with the brown sugar, honey, vanilla and salt. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved, 2-3 minutes. Add the water, bring the mixture to a simmer and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Gently tap the cake pan on the counter top and invert on to a wire rack. Turn cake right side up. Place the cake over baking paper. Brush top and sides of cake with the glaze, including between the pull apart section. Let cool completely before serving.
* Honeycomb Pull Apart Pan – we bought our pan from Williams Sonoma online Australian store in Dec 2013. We noticed that they are no longer available but you may be able to find them on eBay.
You can find more of our honey recipes here.