Have you ever noticed how some coffee beans come packaged in a stand up pouch? It is this style of coffee bag that inspired our latest drawstring pouch. Made with a cheerful print and partnered with some gingham, it features a stand up design with a drawstring opening. Sized at 7 3/4 inches x 7 3/4 inches, the Mini Drawstring Pouch is perfect for storing all manner of things in a school bag or suitcase (e.g. tissues, toiletries, small toys, school supplies etc).
The Mini Drawstring Pouch is a handy size and would make a fun gift for someone starting school.
The fun part of this project is coordinating some small novelty prints with gingham/checks/dots, and adding coordinating trim and ribbon accents.
- Gingham fabric measuring 8 1/4 x 9 inches
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric from a small novelty print, each measuring 8 1/4 x 6 inches
- Ricrac or pompom trim, cut 2 lengths measuring 8 1/4 inches
- Ribbon, cut a length measuring 2 1/2 inches
- 24 inches piping cord
5. Fold the pouch in half with the right sides together. Use a pin to mark the bottom of the pouch and 1 inch above the fold line. Fold the bottom edge over by 1 inch and press (as shown in photo below).
6. Stitch the right hand side of the pouch from the top to the bottom, catching the fold in the bottom of the pouch. On the left hand side, stitch from 1/2 inch above the ribbon tag, to the bottom of the pouch (as marked with a pin in the photo below).
7. Stitch the seam allowance in place around the opening at the top of the left hand side of the pouch (refer to photo below).
8. Fold over 1/2 inch around the top opening of the pouch. Press. Fold over another 1/2 inch and press. Stitch in place. Thread the piping cord through the channel at the top of the pouch. Tie the ends of the cord in a knot.