Covered Tape Measure Tutorial

I had a number of lovely comments about the Covered Tape Measure that I made for Carla as part of Linda’s Pincushion Swap. So I have whipped up a couple more and made a tutorial for those that are interested! They are quick and easy, and a great way to use up those little scraps!

You can find the Tutorial here! I have also added a link in the side bar.
EDIT: The cardboard template is removed after you have pressed the top and bottom pieces.

EDIT: Have just added some new photos for a Flower Tape Measure here.

You can embellish your covered tape measure by adding embroidered details, yo yo’s, buttons, appliques etc. If you make any, I would love to see them!

For your daily sugar fix you can subscribe or follow us on facebooktwitter, and google plus.

1. Erin says

Love this! Thanks for sharing – However…remember you didn’t know what Mod Podge was, well…What the heck is vlisoflex (Sp?) Going to put this on my to do list…your handsewing (slipstitch) is fantastic. Did you sew from the inside or outside? I don’t see a stitch at all.

2. handmaiden says

this is going on my expanding to do list….I do have a yo yo maker and have made some bits but looking for ideas on what to do with them

3. Linda says

Great tutorial. If it’s ok with you I’ll link it on my blog, some of the swappers may like to include it in their swap bags.

4. Rachel says

Wow – already 30 comments on this! : )
    It’s a great tutorial and your photographs make it easy to follow – thanks!

5. mellyandrosie says

WOW – so cute!!! I may have to follow the tutorial one day if I find the time
    (as if!!!) Thanks so much for the link =)

i agree great tute
    i need to get a little stock pile of tape measures so i can make bunches!!!!
    thanks! and you do just use the cardboard as a template, right? you dont leave it in…

I also love the tutorial and appreciate it very much. Like the other Susan, I wondered about the cardboard… leave it in, take it out?

What great little gifts these will be!

That is so cool and so timely! I have a covered one that I adore and recently bought a bunch of uncovered ones to make. Of course, I had to figure out how to do it and now I don’t! Thank you!

Lisa, your tutorial looks lovely! Thanks for sharing it with us! I want to give this a try. Of course I need more time in my day to get all of the things I want to try done. Hopefully I can try this soon.

10. Linnea says

How cute! Thanks for the tutorial! I am going to have to make one. Maybe one for my husband too, I can just see him carrying one around on a construction job.

11. Cassie says

Hi Lisa,

It’s been a while since I’ve stopped by for a visit. I have been much too busy! There are so many cool things to see. I wish I could smell your soap. Your Baby Lime Syrup Cakes look divine. And, I love the covered tape measures. Mine is a hideous pink plastic thing. I can’t wait to try this.

12. All Things Lovely says

What a brilliant idea! Thankyou so much for the tutorial, they will be perfect for little Christmas gifts.

I am an avid crafter and a team member of our local community craft group, which is a not for profit organisation, in fact we only charge a $3 entrance fee to cover costs and offer free craft classes (none of the teachers get paid and they teach voluntarily). I was wondering if you would kindly give me permission to copy your tutorial instructions and teach a small group of ladies your Covered Tape Measures. I have made a number of these wonderful Covered Tape Measures myself as gifts for crafting friends and as we are always looking for new things to teach at our group I thought that this would fit in nicely with my theme for next term called ‘One Week Wonders’. I am hoping to teach quick to make crafts that can be completed in a couple of hours. I wait to hear your response and any conditions that you may have.
    Regards Jane 8o)

I would love to make this, but your bandwidth has been exceeded. Can I get your 4 tutorials in e-mail form? mlhefner at gmail dot com. Thanks!