I have recently given my home office nook a Scandi inspired makeover. It is decorated in white, gold, and pastels – and it is such an inviting corner of my family room. I usually have a cup of tea on hand when I am working at my computer, so some new coasters were needed. The Harvest Leaf Coasters are a modern design and are a quick, easy project – perfect for beginners! They are made from two pieces of fabric. The top edge of the coaster is gathered and stitched in place with some co-ordinating embroidery floss, which gives them their leaf shape.
If you would like to make your own Harvest Leaf Coasters, you will need:
- two pieces of fabric, each measuring 4 1/2 x 6 inches
- embroidery floss
- Harvest Leaf Coaster
- Using the template, cut two leaf coaster shapes from the two pieces of fabric.
- Pin the coaster front and back together with the right sides facing and the edges aligned. Sew around the outside using a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving a gap where marked on the template.
- Clip the corners and turn the coaster out the right way through the gap in the seam. Press. Hand stitch the opening closed.
- At the top of the coaster, fold the fabric so that it forms a W shape – i.e. the midpoint and the outside edges are folded to the top. Secure with a few stitches of embroidery thread, approx 3/4 inch from the top of the coaster. Secure the bottom of the coaster in the same way. Press.
These are such a quick project and make sweet gifts. You could partner it with a tea cup or some favourite tea varieties to make a thoughtful gift.
You can find more Tilda inspired projects here.