Even when we are really busy, we always try and do some weekend baking to stock the freezer with some treats for the week ahead. Our household is very busy with work and study commitments. We are up early and three of us have usually left home by 7.00-7.30 am each day. I generally have a few meals prepared and in the freezer so when I am held up at work, dinner can be heated and ready within a short time of arriving home. One treat that always freezes well, is cupcakes and muffins. They are already portioned so it is easy to pop one in your lunchbox and it is defrosted and fresh to eat by morning tea time when you need a pick me up. This week I made a couple of batches of carrot cupcakes for the freezer.
This delicious cupcakes have grated carrot (makes them healthy right?). The brown sugar. cinnamon, and spices give them a wonderful spiced taste. They are light and fluffy for a vegetable cupcake, and with a simple vanilla icing, they are quick to prepare. You could use a cream cheese frosting for a richer taste if you prefer.
- 50 g (1/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 50 g (1/4 cup) castor (superfine) sugar
- 175 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 225 g (2 cups) plain (all purpose) flour
- ¾ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- pinch of salt
- 150 g grated carrots (approx 2 medium carrots)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 250 g (2 cups) icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C (355 deg F).
- Beat the sugar and oil together and then add the eggs one at a time. Add the flour, bicarb, and salt. Mix. Fold in the grated carrot. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 16-18 minutes, Cool on a wire rack.
- Combine icing ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combined and smooth. Add more water if required to get the right consistency.
- Spread the cooled cupcakes with icing.
Check out some of our other Cupcake and Muffin recipes.