I love having Wednesdays off work – I always seem to get more done when I am home by myself. I felt like baking and Mr 18 requested an apple cake recipe. I made a family favourite – Apple Yoghurt Cake. This apple recipe is low fat – it does not include butter or oil. It uses a small quantity of yoghurt. The cake is light with a delicate texture. It never lasts long …..
We originally discovered this recipe over at Little Busy Bee nearly 4 years ago, and have been making it ever since.
- 3 apples
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest and 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- 175 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 75 g (1/3 cup) plain yoghurt
- 250 g (1 cup) plain (all purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Apricot jam
- Grease a round spring form baking pan (10 inch/26 cm ) and pre-heat the oven 175° C (about 350 F) .
- Peel and slice the apples into eighths. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon zest and a pinch of salt for about 8 minutes on medium speed until creamy and fluffy. Mix in yoghurt. Mix flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture until just combined. Pour into pan. Add apples pressing them gently into the batter. Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until cooked.
- Heat the jam and spread it over the hot cake. Cool.
If you enjoyed our apple cake recipe, check out these apple recipes:
|Apple Crumble Slice|
|Home Made Apple Sauce|