Sarah has a few DIY projects that she wants to create over the school holidays. First up was a DIY Ombre Tank which will be perfect for summer. This project only uses a small amount of dye but the rest of the package will be used in another of her projects which we will share soon.
- Firstly, wash the tank in cold water. Mix a small quantity of dye (approximately 2-3 teaspoons) with a little water in a recycled container, and stir until dissolved. (Check dye package and follow manufacturers instructions).
- Fill your bucket or ice-cream container with 2-3 litres of water and 3 tablespoons salt and mix until the salt is dissolved. Add 1/3 of the dye mix, and dip the bottom 3/4 of the tank in the water. Leave for 10 -15 minutes for the dye to soak in. Remove the tank.
- Add half of the remaining dye mix to the water. Dip the bottom half of the tank in the water and leave for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove the tank.
- Add the remaining dye mix to the water. Dip the bottom 1/4 of the tank in the water and leave for 10 – 15 minutes. Remove the tank.
- Rinse the tank well in cold water. Then wash in the washing machine on a warm cycle using a small amount of detergent, with a colour catcher. Leave to dry. The tank will be lighter after it has been washed.
Sarah enjoyed her dye project and is currently working on another. We love school holidays and having more time for crafty projects.