Hope all the Aussie Dad’s have a great Fathers Day tomorrow!
It can be difficult to think of quick gift ideas for men. This afternoon I have made my Dad a bin bag for his car using some Newsprint fabric.
It has the following features:
- small and compact
- can be tied on the back of the headrest
- it stays open at the top so it is easy to throw rubbish in
- its its sized so that you can recycle plastic produce bags as bin liners
- it uses a recycled round margarine container to form its shape
- can be easily laundered
Best of all, it can be made in well under an hour if you need a last minute gift idea!!
- one round margarine container with the bottom cut out – mine had a circumference of 14 inches
- plastic bag
- rubber band
- external fabric – 14.5 inches x 15.5 inches
- lining fabric: 14.5 inches x 5 inches
- fabric ties – 2 inches x 28 inches
1. Position plastic bag in the margarine container, and secure bag opening with rubber band. (Refer to photo). This is the rubbish bag liner unit.
2. Fold the external fabric in half with the right sides together. Sew down the side and bottom to form a bag shape. Clip corners and turn out the right way. Press.
3. To make fabric ties, fold the long edges of the fabric in to the middle, and fold again to form a strip that is 0.5 inch wide. Press. Stitch along edge. Cut in half to form two ties.
4. Sew lining strip in half with right sides together to form a tube shape. Sew a hem along the bottom edge.
5.With right sides together, sandwich the ties between the lining and the external fabric and stitch around the top opening. Turn bin bag right side out and Press. Position the plastic bag liner unit in the fabric bin bag.
I decided to make a second one for our car using some cute Japanese Candy Bar fabric that we won last year from Sarah at Pink Petal Designs. I think I will make some more for Christmas gifts.
Sorry we have been a bit slow in answering emails and leaving comments this week. We are all a bit under the weather with the flu. Hopefully we will feel brighter next week!
Posted by Lisa