With Halloween just around the corner, I designed this sweet Pumpkin Patch Halloween appliqué project. It is a fun project that can be completed within a couple of hours. Featuring a trio of pumpkins appliquéd onto a backing fabric, and then framed in a small photo frame. It is perfectly sized to display on your mantlepiece or hall table. Alternatively you could applique the pumpkins onto a pot holder, bag, or other small item. The choice is up to you!
When I was planning this project, I realised I have a serious lack of orange prints in my stash. I don’t seem to buy many autumnal toned prints – I will obviously need to rectify that!
The pumpkins are stitched using the raw edge appliqué method (also known as sewing illustration) in black cotton which really makes the design pop. You can find the template by clicking on the link here – Pumpkin Patch Alternatively you could draw your own pumpkin trio! You could turn the pumpkins into Jack-O-Lanterns for a fun twist.
If you would like to make your own, you will need
- three orange printed fabrics (for pumpkins)
- brown fabric (for stems)é
- backing fabric
- double sided fusible web (such as Steam a Seam 2)
- black cotton (such as Aurifil 40 wt)
- small photo frame
- applique template – Pumpkin Patch
- Firstly measure the opening of your photo frame. I used a Ribba frame from Ikea (purchased several years ago) with an opening of 5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches. Cut the backing fabric so that it fits the size of the frame.
- Print out the applique template or draw your own. Trace the design in reverse onto the paper backing side of the fusible web. You will have three pumpkin shapes, plus three stems.
- Cut out around each traced shape, leaving a clearance of approximately ¼ inch around the outside line of each pumpkin.
- Place the sticky side of the web on the wrong side of the fabric and iron to fuse, following manufacturer’s instructions. I used three different orange prints for the pumpkins, and used the same brown print for each of the three stems.
- Cut out the shapes along the traced line using small sharp scissors. Remove the paper backing and then fuse the shapes in position on to the backing fabric using the template design as a guide for placement of the pumpkins. Ensure they are centred on the backing fabric.
- To stitch down the appliqué, use dark thread in your sewing machine and a small straight stitch ( stitch length 1.0 – 1.5) .
- Stitch around the edge, approximately 1/8 inch in from the edge of the shape. Stitch 2-3 times around the edge to outline and ensure the appliqué is firmly attached. Vary the placement of the needle slightly so give a sketchy appearance.
- Press the finished appliqué and insert it into the photo frame.
You can find more of our Halloween projects here.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I only link to products that I use and recommend.