This Easter we have made Bunny Egg Cosies from some lovely 100% merino wool felt. They make cute little Easter gifts or table decorations. The beautiful wool felt comes from Two Blue Birdies. Check out this post for a chance to win a colourful merino wool felt bundle from Two Blue Birdies (entries close 29 March 2015).
These egg cosies were fun to make and would be a fun project for a beginner sewer or older child.
If you would like to make your own, you will need the following supplies:
- white wool felt for body and ears
- pink wool felt for nose
- 2 safety eyes, black, 4.5 mm
- small piece of floral fabric
- Embroidery floss – pink, black, and blue
- double sided fusible web, such as steam a seam
Bunny Egg Cosy measures 3 1/2 inches wide, and 3 1/8 inches from top of head to bottom (excluding the ears).
Here is the Template : Felt Bunny Egg Cosy
1. Using the template, cut out:
- Left and right ear from white felt
- front and back of bunny from white felt
- nose from pink felt
2. Trace the inner ears on to the paper backing of the fusible web. Cut around the shape, leaving at least 1/4 inch around each ear. Fuse onto the back of the floral fabric. Cut around the ear shapes. Remove the paper backing on the appliqué fabric. Fuse the inner ear onto the white felt ears.
3. Stitch around the inner ear to secure using a small stitch length on your sewing machine.
4. Refer to the template for the facial features. Attach safety eyes (or stitch eyes using embroidery floss). Pin the nose in position and then stitch around the nose in pink thread using a buttonhole stitch. Use black embroidery floss to stitch mouth and whiskers as shown.
5. Pin the front and back of the bunny together. Insert the ears between the layers where marked on the template and pin in place. Stitch around the cosy from one side to the other, securing the ears as you go. Use a scant seam allowance of approximately 1/8 inch.
Thanks to Two Blue Birdies for providing us with the supplies used in this project.