We first discovered the delights of a Scandinavian kitchen when we lived in Norway. The baked goods, breads, and pastries were amazing – and often included lots of grains, nuts, fruit, and spices. We lived in a yellow wooden house in a small village just outside of Stavanger in 1996. I still remember dressing the first child in his little snow suit and walking into the village each day to buy our fresh bread, and often a pastry or two!
Sarah treated herself to a new cook book recently – Scandilicious Baking by Signe Johansen. One look at this wonderful book and I was instantly transported back to our little village in Norway. It is full of wonderful recipes for breads, muffins, cakes, tarts, biscuits and more.
Sarah baked Toscakaka – Caramel almond-topped sponge over the weekend. It consists of a light fluffy sponge that is covered with an almond praline and was amazing! Sarah modified the recipe slightly to include a mix of almond and shredded coconut praline.
- 3 eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 75 g butter, melted
- 75 ml buttermilk
- 125 g butter
- 125 g light brown sugar
- 75 g flaked almonds
- 75 g shredded coconut
- 50 ml milk
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C and grease and line a 23 cm round cake tin.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Gradually fold the melted butter, buttermilk, and dry ingredients to the egg mixture, a little at a time until everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and firm to touch.
- Prepare the praline topping halfway through the baking time so that it is ready when the cake is cooked. Put all the topping ingredients in a medium saucepan over a low-medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Remove the cake from the oven and increase the temperature to 220 deg C. Glaze the top of the cake with the hot praline, then return the cake to the oven and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the topping is crispy and golden.
- Allow the cake to cool slightly before removing from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.
If you enjoy Scandinavian style baked goods, check out Scandilicious Baking.
If you enjoyed this recipe for Caramel Almond & Coconut Topped Sponge, check out some of our other almond recipes.
Disclaimer: This post contains an affiliate link to The Book Depository.