Saturday, 29 March at 8.30 pm is Earth Hour. We are big supporters of Earth Hour which was founded in Sydney in 2007 and has now grown to include 7001 cities and 152 nations. Supporters turn off their lights for an hour to remind the world of the effects of climate change. This year, Earth Hour is focusing national attention on protecting our beautiful Great Barrier Reef, with a special documentary screening across Australia.
When you switch off your lights and electronic devices this Saturday night, here are some fun ideas of how to spend Earth Hour.
1. Board Games – Challenge your family or friends to a board game by candlelight. Our current favourite is Settlers of Catan.
2. Take an evening stroll around your neighbourhood.
3. Sit outside and look at the stars. With less lights on, it is the perfect opportunity for star gazing.
4. Have a candlelight dinner and enjoy the art of conversation.
5. Take a relaxing bath with some scented candles.
6. Tell stories – take turns telling your scariest ghost stories.
7. Play hide and seek in the dark.
8. Have a sing-along – bring out the musical instruments and have a mini concert.
9. Go to bed early and catch up on your sleep.
For more information, check out Earth Hour.