Christmas sewing is our favourite type of sewing – decorations and gifts – so much fun!
If you have any home cooks on your Christmas list, here is a patchwork pot holder and tea towel (dish towel) that are easy to make using lovely hand printed apple fabric. In teal and grey, with a touch of yellow, it makes a modern set for the kitchen. Best of all, they can be easily made in a couple of hours.
The Pot Holder is made with a layer of Insul-Bright and a layer of batting for good insulation.
Finished Size: 8 x 6 inches
- 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 cotton fabric (pot holder front – shown as Teal apples, large)
- 2 x 1 1/2 inch white linen (patch on pot holder front)
- 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 inch (pot holder front – yellow apple)
- 3 x 6 1/2 inch cotton fabric (pot holder back – shown as Teal apples, large)
- 6 x 3 1/2 inch cotton fabric (pot holder back – shown as Teal apples, small)
- 3 x 3 1/4 inch cotton fabric (pot holder back – shown as Grey apples, large)
- 3 x 3 1/4 inch cotton fabric (pot holder back – shown as Grey apples, small)
- 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 Insul-Brite
- 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 warm and white batting
- 2 1/2 inches yellow striped ribbon 1/2 inch wide
- 4 1/2 inches yellow striped ribbon 3/8 inch wide
- small piece of fusible appliqué web, such as Steam a Seam
A plain ivory tea towel has been enhanced with the addition of a patchwork strip: feature patch and tag; and a hanging loop.
Stitch together a patchwork strip measuring 3 1/2 inches x (the width of the tea towel + 1/2 inch). Press under 1/4 inch on all sides. Sew the patchwork strip onto the tea towel approx 2 1/2 inches from the bottom edge (include a 2 inch fold piece of stripey ribbon if desired). Stitch a yellow apple patch on the tea towel patchworks strip if desired, following the directions in the Pot Holder. Add a hanging loop from a 6 inch piece of ribbon to the top of the Tea Towel if desired.
Thanks to our lovely sponsors,
- Maria from Blueberry Ash for providing the lovely hand printed Apple fabrics used in this tutorial. Check out the fantastic range of wonderful hand printed textiles available at Blueberry Ash.
- Fiona from Ribbons Galore for providing the yellow ribbons.There is a wonderful range of ribbons for all your projects at Ribbons Galore.