He Put in His Thumb and Pulled out a Plum…

My son’s favourite summer fruit are plums. They are plentiful at the moment, so a big batch of plum jam was the order of the day. That way we can enjoy the fruit all year long (if it lasts that long!)

My local supermarket has stopped selling my favourite French Jam – Bonne Maman. I used to buy it for the sweet jars with the red checkered lids, as much as for the delicious jam. Fortunately I have a big stash of jars that I can use in my own jam making.

I used the recipe I found here. I am going to surprise the kids with waffles and jam after school – perfect for a Friday afternoon tea.

Orphan blocks from the Joseph Coat Quilt-A-Long have been incorporated into the backing of the Red String Quilt. I love how the backing is turning out and hope to start the quilting this weekend.

I am also finding ways to incorporate Japanese Masking Tape into lots of projects. So much so, that I am thinking of adding to my collection. They are available from Notemaker in Australia for around $4.95 ea. I think resistance is futile.

Have a great weekend!

Posted by Lisa

Comments

so many gorgeous things! I too love that French Jam and was collecting the jars and I only got to three when our local stopped stocking it too, I was very upset!

Your red and white quilt is looking divine. Now for a Q? Do you use blood plums (satsumas) or any red plum for your jam. Its my favourite as well but i need satsumas for my jam and i haven’t come across any yet.
    Linda

I’ve never had plum jam, but it looks delicious! I might have to try making that. I usually just do strawberry jam. Love those cute jars too. Your quilt project looks fabulous! Hope you have a productive weekend, working on it.

I see you are not quite “over” the red and white Christmas theme yet LOL…your plum jam bottles are so cute, and I love the labels!
    Resistance is definitely futile…especially where that cute tape is concerned…go for it!

Oh my gosh — I started buying a few brightly colored Kaffes thinking I’d eventually do the Joseph’s Coat, but now I want a RED one (it would go so much better in my house than a multi-colored bright one)! That’s going to be gorgeous! Your jam is looking mighty fine too!

I’ve tried my hand at making jam this summer – apricot, plum and cumquat and the results have delicious. I love those French jars, and the way you have labelled and packaged them is so sweet.

Hello girls!! It’s been ages since I have been here! I love Bonne Maman, and I love stocking things in. If you ever need more, I woud love to send you some more. I love the pics and the “mise en scéne”!

Now I am hungry. Love the red blocks for use in quilt back. I look forward to seeing it worked up.

I saw some tape similar to this locally here at JoAnn’s, but it was a bit pricy for this week. Still looks like it would be fun. Enjoy.

Your jam looks yummy. I do not think it will last the whole year as I know your family is going to love it so much!

Love your quilt pattern.

I love the Japanese Masking tape. Great colors.

The jam looks so yummy! Love that your piecing the back to your red string quilt. Just give in to the tape. Then it won’t tempt you anymore. Besides it is sooo fun.

Homemade jam is so yummy! I love those little jars that you put it in. It seems so strange hearing you talk of plums when we are in the dead of winter. What I wouldn’t do for a fresh plum! I just love Japanese tape and I have quite a bit of it.
    x

I used to love to make jam! It is so lovely to see it all lined up on the shelf waiting for winter… Your quilt is so beautiful! I can see you are full of many talents!

i so wanted to make that joseph’s coat quilt…your blocks look beautiful! and jam…oh to wish for summer fruit here…at least the snow is melting!