Cooking and Crafting..

Thanks you for all your wonderful comments about the cookbook project! It has been very exciting to be involved in a cookbook – so far 10 of my recipes have been styled and photographed, with another 8 being done this week. I have learnt some great food styling tips and it will be fun to see some of my baking in print later in the year. Sarah took a day off school to be my assistant and thoroughly enjoyed herself, as well as having the opportunity to get a good insight into behind the scenes of a publication. It has been a good few months for me on that score as 5 of my sewing projects will be featured in the Lark Book publications “Pretty Little Presents” and “Sweet Nothings” which will be coming out in fall 2009.

I have been spending most of my free time in the kitchen over the past week and had to deal with such frustrations as my freezer dying on me on Sunday (I am still waiting for the repairman!). I whipped up a new pot holder using Cassie’s excellent tutorial for perfect binding. You can see it here with my “Baby Apple and Almond Cakes” in the background.

I played around with a quilted piece of fabric that I had left over from another project and made this triangular shaped purse.

After my recent foray into decoupage (it is very addictive), I made a little coaster for my studio to match the clipboard I made recently.

I am hoping to get back into sewing and crafting next week. One of the first things Sarah and I want to make is these little magnetic canvases from How About Orange

Today is my dear sons 14th Birthday! It is hard to believe how fast the past 14 years have flown since we embarked on parenthood. Although he prefers to remain anonymous on our blog, I just wanted to share one of my favourite early pics of him with you. He is such an easy going, caring, generous son. Happy Birthday BJ!!

Posted By Lisa

Comments

It’s such a Joy to craft and cook, much better than house work. Love your blog and love your creations!
    Blessings
    Janelle xx
    Thanks for the lovely comment on our blog, its nice to visit another West Aussie blogger…

Wow, you have so much happening. Congratulations on all your publications (I know someone famous!!!)

Happy birthday to your boy too. It is my eldest boy’s birthday today too. He turned 15 years old. I think your thoughts are what mine are too – what a journey it has been!

Also, just love all your stuff you have been making – your decoupage doesn’t look anything like what my mother used to do!!!! She used to decoupage everything that she could get her hands on.

Wow! It is exciting at your place! You have been so busy and it all looks so wonderful. Happy cooking and sewing for the rest of the week too!

Hi Lisa – I’d be much like Sarah and wanting to be your assistant too working on the baking and photo shoots for your upcoming publication – how exciting :) And to have some of your sewing patterns put into print too – well done you.
    HaPpY BiRtHdAy BJ – hope you’ve had a fantastic 14th birthday. Hugs Jx

Love your pot holder and those cakes look so yummy. The little bag is great too. Love all things quilted. Thanks for the binding tutorial tip. Great one for later.
    Big Happy Birthday to BJ. Gotta love those Pixie Photos. Hope he had a great day.

Wow – you are going to be in a craft book too – are they your patterns Lisa – Eager to know – and of course will definetly be stocking that book in my store – I keep most of the Lark Publications – Eager to know if they are your designs!! How exciting

My only news is that one of my lampwork bracelets will be featured in Creative Beading in the next couple of months it would be nice if it got front cover but I haven’t heard yet!! – but I have seen the proof of the layout and it is amazing how good your items looks after it has been professionally styled and photographed, I sort of feel famous

I love that triangle purse! Where did you find the pattern? I’ve been baking up a storm, but I haven’t nearly been crafting as much as I’d like these days-I think it is going to be me and teh sewing machine out there on this grey, gloomy day!

Firstly a huge happy birthday for your big boy! And then I must say how thilled I am for you and your well deserved success! Thank you also for the like to those lovely little magnets! What a great little project! As for that little purse … you amaze me! I can only imagine how difficult that would have been … after struggling for what seemed like hours with a simple lined pencil case!

A big happy birthday to your son! You must be so excited about all the opportunites you have with the cookbook, and the your crafts being spotlighted. Yeah! What a great experience for Sarah to see the behind the scenes work in publication.
    I have to make one of those triangle purse, they are too cute.

My gosh Lisa things never seem to be slow at your home. How exciting another publication, congratulations. So of course we all want to know if they are your own designs. I agree with the other commentor, looking at your blog first thing in the morning with an empty tummy isn’t a good idea….Happy birthday to Bj I hope it was a terrific day for him.

Happy Birthday BJ, I hope you have a wonderful day.
    More wonderful food, yummy!
    I love the little purse, it is so unique and fun.
    Congratulations on all your upcoming publications and on your award, all are very well deserved!

12. Handmaiden says

Lisa
    Those cakes look good….almond and apple go so well together and like the black and white pot mit.
    You have been very busy
    Sharon

Lisa – You never cease to amaze me. Congratulations on your baking and crafting books! That is so great! Hope all is well! Have a great day!

I love the triange purse! So clever and cute. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sadly I had to return my apron book to the library today. I guess I’ll have to buy it! :o)

That ooffee looks so good. Love the triangle purse too. You got lucky with your “dear son” – my first is about to turn 13 on Friday ooops, I think that is tomorrow, and has Aspergers Syndrome. He is getting more and more difficult (angry/aggreesive/violent/negative)by the minute. Sewing is a great release for me.

That triangular bag is adorable. I love to make those too, but I think I was making them a bit longer than you did here. It looks really cute in this little shape.

The book sounds like it’s going to be scrumptious! Hope you get that freezer fixed soon! Love the pic of your son with his ‘creatures’ – boys, huh!

happy birthday bj.
    its little misses birthday today and i’m a bit the same as to put a pic up or not.i’ve always left personal stuff out of my blog but it was so exciting to she her face as she unwrapped her pressie its hard not to want to share it.
    i’ll see how it pans out.
    love the triangle purse its great.

Happy birthday to your son, those years sure go by so fast. Congratulations on your publication, wow how exicting. How industrious to whip up a pot holder while waiting for your repairman.

Aren’t 14 year old sons wonderful? Mine is fantastic and yours looks like a brilliant fellow too! (I think it must have been a good year!)

I love your Ikea potholder and everything else. You have had an exciting couple of weeks! Hope you have a great weekend!

Hi,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. It is so cute that you do a blog with your daughter! My blog is seems is turning out to be that way,even though it isn’t intended. I’ll come back for another visit :)

What a lovely post with so much to see! Happy birthday to your big boy! He was adorable as a little one and I can imagine how handsome he is now!

Your triangle purse is too cute with your little name tag on the back. You sure do make beautiful things!
    ~Emily

Hello Lisa and Sarah, the Baby Apple and Almond cakes are mouth watering.Congrats on your upcoming publication. Warmest Regards Lyn

What JOY…so happy to hear about all your published work coming up–tremendously exciting! Love those little triangle bags…And your son, sooo sweet–time flies!–hope he had a grand birthday. Happy weekend ((HUGS))

Happy Birthday, BJ! My boys don’t really like it when I feature them on my blog either lol

I love the little triangle bag, very cute! And Wow, you are amazing! A cookbook, your sewing projects in 3 other books! I am in awe of all that you get done, and with a job!
    Just don’t tell me you house is spotless, because then I will cry ; D

Wow! Congratulations! I am very excited for you!!!! I can’t wait to see the publications.
    I hope your son had a wonderful birthday! Good luck with the freezer repairs, I hope it’s working again soon!

Hi Lisa,

Your potholder looks great. I’m glad to know that somebody used the tutorial! :-)

Happy Birthday to the boy in your family. Kids grow fast, don’t they? Hailey, my oldest daughter, got her driver’s license last Friday. I can’t believe it. It will soon be your turn to teach a child to drive. Fun, fun, fun…sort of?!?

Your recipes all sound so totally delicious. Congrats on all the spoonfuls of sugar that are coming your way!

Happy birthday to your 14 year old! My oldest just turned 6 and I can’t believe it.

Cheers,
    Tracey

You have so many wonderful things going on. It is so much fun to be a part of it all. The little triangle purse is so cute!! Happy birthday to your guy…boy they grow up way toooo fast!

The triangle purse is darling and the baby cakes are mouth watering. I completely understand the freezer problem and waiting…I just had the fridge repair guy here yesterday!