Tutorial: Quick Notebook Cover

Someone asked me recently for instructions on how to make a notebook cover. This is a super easy and quick notebook cover. It took approximately one hour. Sarah has now claimed it as her own. Fortunately I purchased two notebooks so will now have to get started on one for myself!

Requirements:
• cover fabric
• lining fabric
• flannette
• 1 x button
• small piece of elastic
  1 x eyelet
• notebook with a sturdy bound cover (I found a great A6 sized one at Office Works)

Seam allowance: ¼ inch

1. To calculate the size of the fabric, measure notebook length from top to bottom and add 1 inch to this measurement. Measure notebook width from front cover to back cover (including width of spine) and add 5 inches to this measurement.

2. Cut out the fabric to the size you calculated. Cut out one piece in the main cover fabric, one in the lining fabric and one in the flannette.

3. Layer the fabric so that the right sides of the main and lining fabric are facing, with the flannel placed under the lining fabric, and pin to hold layers together.

4. Sew around the edge of the fabric using ¼ inch seam allowance and leaving a 3 inch gap for turning.

5. Clip the corners, and then turn the cover so the right side is on the outside using a chopstick or turning stick to get nice sharp points in the corners. Pin the gap in the cover. Press the cover.

6. Place the cover on the notebook so that it is centred and fold the flaps in under the notebook so that both sides are even (approx 2 1/4 inch). Pin the flaps in place. Sew along the top and bottom of the cover, sewing the flaps in place, and enclosing the gap in the cover as you sew. You will need to use a 1/8 inch seam and go through all layers.

7. Position eyelet inside back flap approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top and near to the crease and attach following directions.

8. Position button near front edge of notebook cover approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top.

9. Thread a loop of thin elastic through eyelet and cut to size. Secure by sewing through both ends of elastic and notebook cover. Press and then Voila!!

You could adapt the design by using a patchwork cover. Instead of using the button and elastic you could either omit this altogether or use a fabric tab and velcro to hold the notebook closed.

If you make up one of these, let me know, I would love to see the pics. The possibilities are endless!

Posted by Lisa

Comments

Hey Gals!
    Thanks for posting on my blog! I just started it a few weeks back, so I get so excited when someone actually writes to me!! HAha! Great Notebook Cover, Luckily my husband brought home a couple of notebooks from work last week….(very ugly and ordinary) this cover should spice them up! By the end of the day I hope to have my never-ending quilt finished and pictures posted!!! (fingers crossed!) Cheers!

How very clever and nicely made! Thanks for visiting my blog. That is so cute that you and your daughter share your blog. We are about the same age…40 something, although my daughters are 22, and 18.
    Where did you get your labels that you sewed into the book cover?

Great tutorial and I love that you guys share a blog! I hope my daughter and I can do that when she’s older (she’s 2, we have quite a ways to go!) thanks for the nice comment on my blog!

I love this fabric…I’ve recently bought the charm pack of Urban Chicks Swell…but oh to have such lovely large pieces to work with!

Thank you for your comment on my blog. x

This was my first trip to your blog, and what did I find? A wonderful tutorial! I love me a good tut. Thanks! I’ll be back for sure.

that notebook cover is so nice! Immediately want to make one myself…think I just go to town to get the supplies and whip one up today!!

Lovely blog! and thanx for visiting mine too! xx

Thanks for posting on my blog! Now we’re even because I’m sure I can use this tutorial for a little project I’ve been planning for a while, but haven’t wrapped my brain around the details. This helps immensely!

Wow nice tutorial haven’t ,made a tutorial yet.That was a great idea looks so pretty, nice, neat look to it. Gives me a idea for father’s day .
    Love it !

Brilliant! But you make it look so easy :) I must dust off my sewing machine and get it down from the loft. Oh and I’d better learn how to use it properly too rather than foot to the floor and hope for the best! I have a diary and some fabric so there isn’t a lot stopping me! Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks I used this tute, and was really happy with the result. Found the eyelet a little tricky, will need to practice and make a few more. Thanks!

11. Anonymous says

Do you know Rose zuly? I like it.
    My brother often go to the internet bar to buy rose zulie and play it.
    After school, He likes playing games using these rose online zuly with his friend.
    I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many rose online zulieand play the game with me.
    I came to the bar following him and found Arua ROSE zulywas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

Do you know Scions Of Fate gold? I like it.
    My brother often go to the internet bar to buy SOF gold and play it.
    After school, He likes playing games using these Scions Of Fate money with his friend.
    But I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap SOF goldand play the game with me.
    I came to the bar following him and found buy sof goldwas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I’m definitely going to have a go. Time to start picking out fabrics and notebooks methinks. I’m so glad to have discovered your blog.