Someone asked me recently for instructions on how to make a notebook cover. This is a super easy and quick notebook cover. It took approximately one hour. Sarah has now claimed it as her own. Fortunately I purchased two notebooks so will now have to get started on one for myself!
• cover fabric
• lining fabric
• 1 x button
• small piece of elastic
1 x eyelet
• notebook with a sturdy bound cover (I found a great A6 sized one at Office Works)
Seam allowance: ¼ inch
1. To calculate the size of the fabric, measure notebook length from top to bottom and add 1 inch to this measurement. Measure notebook width from front cover to back cover (including width of spine) and add 5 inches to this measurement.
2. Cut out the fabric to the size you calculated. Cut out one piece in the main cover fabric, one in the lining fabric and one in the flannette.
3. Layer the fabric so that the right sides of the main and lining fabric are facing, with the flannel placed under the lining fabric, and pin to hold layers together.
4. Sew around the edge of the fabric using ¼ inch seam allowance and leaving a 3 inch gap for turning.
5. Clip the corners, and then turn the cover so the right side is on the outside using a chopstick or turning stick to get nice sharp points in the corners. Pin the gap in the cover. Press the cover.
6. Place the cover on the notebook so that it is centred and fold the flaps in under the notebook so that both sides are even (approx 2 1/4 inch). Pin the flaps in place. Sew along the top and bottom of the cover, sewing the flaps in place, and enclosing the gap in the cover as you sew. You will need to use a 1/8 inch seam and go through all layers.
7. Position eyelet inside back flap approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top and near to the crease and attach following directions.
8. Position button near front edge of notebook cover approximately 1/3 of the way down from the top.
9. Thread a loop of thin elastic through eyelet and cut to size. Secure by sewing through both ends of elastic and notebook cover. Press and then Voila!!
You could adapt the design by using a patchwork cover. Instead of using the button and elastic you could either omit this altogether or use a fabric tab and velcro to hold the notebook closed.
If you make up one of these, let me know, I would love to see the pics. The possibilities are endless!
Posted by Lisa